Sunday, October 5, 2014

MORE PROJECTS

I decided to take the word "more" and try out more things I've been meaning to and need to try out and get out of the way.
First things first I made a dress from bed sheets and hopefully it looks Greek enough for my shoes. Although I probably won't actually wear the dress to class and I will most likely go out and find something more "wearable" to wear with my shoes - I made a dress anyway. Because I could.
Afterwhich I decided to make some "poison" caramel apples. The first try didn't work out too well because I made the caramel myself and it got all hard and stuff. I decided that maybe I don't have that kind of time and energy so I went out and got some caramels from the store and coloured them with black food colouring. I don't have a picture of them but I can say that it was definitely an apple covered in black caramel. Basically it should have looked like this. I'll make them again and make sure to take a picture.
I am making a bento box for Sean for Thanksgiving this year because he always works on Thanksgiving and because he loves Asian food (and also for a good reason to use my bento box I bought a couple months ago). I made a diagram of what I will be putting in his bento box, as well as a list of all the ingredients I will need to purchase.
The bento consists of shrimp fried rice, a california roll, two salmon onigiri, and one or two (I haven't decided yet) shoyu eggs, the kind they put in authentic ramen. I am currently in the process of making sticky rice for the first time so I'll have to let you know how that goes in class. If I can't for whatever reason figure out how to make sticky rice, I can always get the microwavable stuff but I wanted it to be made from the heart. I have no idea where to find little shrimps for shrimp fried rice. If anyone has some advice, that'd be great. I know how to make sushi, I just don't want to go half way across the state to get some really good fresh fish, immediately make sushi with it in the car or something, and rush it over to sean's house before he leaves for work. I'm not sure what kind of dried seaweed I'll be using yet. The last kind I had I really didn't like so I'm gonna go buy up a few kinds and try them out. I did however make authentic ramen and some shoyu eggs to go in it the other day. What the shoyu eggs were supposed to look like.
What my shoyu eggs actually looked like.
They weren't very pretty but they WERE very TASTY. And the ramen turned out just like the authentic ramen Sean and I always get at Mitsuwa (an Asian grocery in Chicago).
Aside from my Asian cuisine endeavors, I started on some Slenderman shoes for my friend's birthday this week. Every new pair of shoes I make is an adventure for me. I haven't ever made two pairs of shoes that are alike and I rarely use pencil when I make shoes. I almost always start with pen, as I did with this pair. Not sure if I want to make the second shoe the same as the first for symmetry or not.
  And lastly I started on my Halloween costume. My sister (8 years old) and I are being Anna and Elsa from Frozen. I'm not a huge Frozen fan, but she is. And I thought it would be a lot of fun. Since I have red hair and she has blonde hair, I'm going to be Anna and she's going to be Elsa. What I have so far is just the raw ingredients.
I'm going to alter the shirt so that it... fits me. I'm going to cut the vest at an angle. And I'm basically going to paint the designs onto the vest and skirt. It's definitely not cosplay level costuming, but I never planned to take it to a convention anyway.
So in the past week I have tried out 6 things outside my comfort zone and I hope to take this momentum and run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment