Sunday, September 28, 2014

Breaking My Own Rules

When I first thought about the assignment, I was pretty certain I was going to have to break the rules by not breaking the rules. Because I actually break rules quite a bit, which I didn't realize until I went to actively do it.
I break fashion rules all the time. I dress however I please. My friend once said, "Sometimes you're super girly and you wear fancy dresses and high heels for no reason, and then other days you show up looking like a boy." I like Tripp pants, fancy dresses, high waisted shorts, polka dots, and pirates. I used to wear these kitty ears to school and one year, for what seems to be for the sole reason of crushing my spirit, they told me I wasn't allowed to wear them anymore. I was publicly humiliated through email by one of the teachers who sent an email to all the other teachers. All day I had to hear about "the kitty ears girl." So, I did my self portrait of me with my kitty ears on and that picture was hung up in the hallway for months.
I break art rules a lot, too. It doesn't make any sense to me that art should even have rules. I oil paint with my fingers. I sit cross legged on my desk when I paint. I eyeball proportions instead of measuring them. I wipe my paintbrushes off on my jeans. I once "painted" with make up. Didn't turn out well, but I tried it. I really like to draw on paper bags. And shoes. They have a good texture. Hell, I painted anchors right on my shorts cuz I wanted anchors on my shorts.
I have kind of a "I do what I want" attitude about a lot of things, so I was hard pressed to find a rule I could break that wouldn't get me locked up in jail or kicked out of the house or fired from my job.
That's when I found these glorious heels. So beautiful. I was like, "I would be a greek goddess in these heels."

And my mom said, "No, you wouldn't. Contrary to popular belief, you can not be whatever you want to be."
And my dad replied, "That is the worst thing you've ever said. You can't tell someone they can't be whatever they want to be."
So I said, "I'll break THAT rule! I WILL be whatever I want to be! And I will buy these shoes and become a greek goddess!"
Also, I have my own rule that is to have $100 left of my paycheck after I buy necessities right after i get paid. After this purchase I'll only have $75. I get a little up tight about budgeting. As it happens, I don't have a lot of bills and really don't need the extra money. But it's a rule I set for myself because I am incredibly high strung, especially about money management. So, I went ahead and broke one of my own rules at the same time.
On the one hand, I AM GOING TO BE A GREEK GODDESS. THIS IS AMAZING. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THESE SHOES GET HERE. SEAN (Also a greek god in his own right) AND I CAN GO BLESSING PEOPLE AND WHATNOT.
On the other hand, I only have $75 left for the next two weeks. $75 and so many other things I want or need. I need to get Q-tips. And some more soda. I have expensive taste in soda. And most things. Thankfully, I only really do frivolous things with Sean, who pays for almost everything when we hang out. I feel bad, I'm an expensive date.
I'm getting off track.
The point is, I broke my own rule. And in a way, it's thrilling. And also terrifying. We'll see when the shoes arrive if it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment