Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Trash into Treasure

I thought it was funny how we mentioned that some people took a violent, angry approach to the altered book and others took a more peaceful approach.
I definitely took a much more peaceful approach. I figure, we're supposed to be turning it into something positive, not into more negativity. I definitely know what it's like to rage and get all my anger out. I know what it's like to do somewhat irrational things to work out my anger. But this book project will be with me for the semester and I don't have any interest in getting that worked up and angry every time I go to work on it.
I want to be able to look at the end product and not have to worry about what the original book meant to me. I want it to be something new that I can be proud of and show off to people.
I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do with the book.
My favourite idea so far is having my friends write positive things in it because I've found that can be very powerful. Yes, I've done a lot in recent years to learn to love myself and I do finally feel like I care more about what I think of myself than I do about what other people think of me. But when I get really down on myself, sometimes it takes encouraging words from someone else to get me to see the light.
And it's encouraging words from a friend that helped me to learn to value myself in the first place.
From there... I sort of used the "fake it till you make it" approach. Talk myself up like I'm amazing until I really start to believe it. And after all this time, I'm starting to believe it.
I can look back at where I've come from and what I've done and be impressed with myself.
I want to have that same journey with this book. Where when I look back on it, I don't see the sadness in the beginning, but the hope in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment