Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Fear Take Away 4

I was late for class so I missed some of the assignments.

Mr. Drowning in his thoughts
I think his representation with the hand reaching out of the water is perfect. I totally relate to this idea. When I do artwork, I absolutely have to have something on in the background or I'll start to get lost in my thoughts. If I get into my thoughts too long, they get dark. I get angry. I just can't let myself be that angry, it's not safe. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this, but I'm sorry he has to go through it, too. It really does feel like drowning.

Mr. Anxiety about the future
I found this was a common theme. I liked his skull picture, it's very good. I don't know what else there is to say about anxiety about the future. It's a scary thing, but there's nothing you can do about the future now. I used to stay up all night stressing about my weight, but Rome wasn't built in a day. I didn't lose weight over night. I lost weight over half a year. The future often takes time to come to fruition. It's our job in the here and now to make the future worth it. It's okay to worry sometimes, but it bothers me that so many people are deeply troubled about the future. It's not fair that our society promotes so much anxiety about things we can't do anything about.

Mr. Children
This one really hit home for me. I don't think he brought anything in, but he discussed his fear of not being able to provide a better life for his kids. I totally get that on every level. I make every decision with the thought in mind that one day I will have kids and how it will effect my life then. I haven't had a bad life but I still want a better life for my kids. Because of that, I'm waiting until I'm done with college to get married. I'm waiting until I feel financially comfortable and have money put aside to have children. It's a big deal and I want the best for my kids. I write myself notes sometimes for when I have children, to remind me what it's like to be the child. I really think it pushes me to be the best I can be creatively. So my kids and my siblings won't be scared to do the same. My parents are so supportive of my art and I'm very thankful, as I'm sure he's thankful for his parents. I can't imagine choosing between my parents and my children. It would be the most awful thing. But I think in the end, I would have to choose my children. I love my parents and if they love me, they'll understand they have to let me do what's best for my children. Just as they would have done for me.


Mr. Guitar
I definitely felt like this sounded hopeful, not fearsome. I feel like I learned a lot about Blair. He usually seems very unattached, but no one unattached could write music like that. We talked a lot about the texture of the song, and I still think that's vitally important. Texture is so important in the sterile world we live in. Some of my favourite art has been on the back of Arby's bags. I hope our discussion alleviated some of his fears about judgement. So many people are so scared of judgement. Other people do not make you who you are. You make you who you are. The only person who's opinion really matters is your own. And people who love themselves tend to be well liked by the people around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment