Monday, December 15, 2014

Fear Take Away Day 2

Ms. Blank page
She wrote a poem and illustrations to go with the poem that broke out of the border representing the blank page. I definitely understand the fear of the blank page. It gets me all the time. I just stare at it like, "what do I do." I've tried all manner of defeating the blank page. Artists often tell me to draw every day. But some days I just stare at the page like, "whaaaa?" Like I'm not an artist and have no idea what I'm doing. For a while there, I only created art when I was feeling inspired. But inspiration has a small window in which to work. This definitely affects my creativity negatively. Lately I try looking through old poems and notes of mine for inspiration and go online to find prompts. I also go through old sketchbooks and find drawings I want to redo. It's hard, but it's getting me somewhere. Maybe one day, I will defeat the blank page. I hope she does, too.

Mr. Evil in video games
He was afraid of failure. So instead of worrying about it all the time. He decided to go to something selfish and just for him and be as evil as possible in video games. I couldn't do it. I straight up couldn't. It's not in me. I CANNOT be mean in video games. I feel bad when I kill deer. Video game deer. I don't even steal. Not at all. I mercy kill sometimes, but that's because I'm an Orc and I'm not gonna disrespect my character's cultural differences. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to do this. I wonder if it helped relieve stress. I think it would just stress me out more.

Mr. Book cover
Made an image with FAILURE all over it in big bold letters. It looked like a book cover. This was absolutely not a failure and I'm so sad that someone can think of themselves that way when they make such beautiful work. The design was brilliant. I think everyone gets down about themselves from time to time. We have a society that focuses on failures rather than successes. And as animals, that's how our brains work. We need to fight against that. Failure is just EXP, so you can go fight your next battle.

Mr. Labyrinth
He drew a really great representation of what it feels like to get lost. GPSs are evil. They're proof AI is trying to take over the world and destroy the humans. This is a very practical fear. I don't know how I'd get back if I got really and truly lost. Creatively speaking, I think his representation was great. I think he could draw on this in his story he's writing to give it more depth and reliability. For me, I think more than worrying about getting lost I would start thinking about what to do once I am lost. Once I am lost, I guess I would make sure to have a phone to call someone and let them know I'm lost and where roughly I am. If I don't have a phone, this gets really scary. But I need to find people with a phone and I need to ask for directions. It goes on. But generally, to relieve anxiety about certain situations, I plan for what will happen when I'm in them. Then I don't feel so worried anymore.

Mr. Landscape
He was scared of not being able to get the career he wanted. So he painted a landscape to help him relieve some of the stress. I think getting a career is something a lot of kids in college have never done, so we're all a little worried about it. It's weird and new. All we know is all the horror stories we've heard about NOT getting a job or LOSING a job. I think schools should stop trying to motivate kids to get successful careers with horror stories about what will happen if they don't. And start motivating them with stories from people who have made it and enjoy their lives. I love what I'm doing and it motivates me to keep trying no matter what. And creatively, that fuels me. I hope he can learn to see it in a more positive light. Stressing out does nothing for a good career.


No comments:

Post a Comment